Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Powdered Vitamin Option

I’m sure many of you experience some of the same challenges I do in regards to making sure my daughter gets the appropriate amount of nutrition each day.  One of the things I also have to deal with as far as Maddie is concerned is her inability to chew solid foods.  So, we puree everything!  Consequently, there are some days that I am not as creative with her foods as I should be and she probably isn’t eating the healthiest.

For a long time, I’ve wanted to give her some sort of vitamin supplement but going the chewable or gummy route wouldn’t work for obvious reasons.  And the thought of crushing vitamins everyday really just didn’t work into my plans.  Enter Smoothie King – one of my favorite treats.  The two girls who own the Smoothie King franchises that I frequent are so knowledgeable!  I told them about Maddie and asked them how they put vitamins into the smoothies, because I never taste that vitamin taste.  Their Dad own Simon’s Apothecary here in Louisville and he sells a line of vitamins that actually offers a powdered, berry flavored multivitamin.  I decided to try it.


I mix ½ scoop of Integrative Therapeutics Mega Multivitamin Powder Mix into her applesauce and she LOVES it.  I tried it myself and it doesn’t taste “vitamin-y.”

According to the label, the mix is yeast, gluten, wheat, and corn-free and has no artificial coloring or preservatives.  It contains 23 vitamins and minerals and supplies 100% or more of the US RDA of most essential vitamins and high levels of all the B vitamins.  It contains the following antioxidants: lutein, zeaxanthin and N-acetycyteine.

In addition, if you are in need of a pharmacist who is very knowledgeable about traditional pharmaceuticals as well as natural remedies, call Alan Simon at Simon’s Apothecary.  They are located at 9217 U.S. Highway 42 in Prospect and the phone number is 502-228-4161.  He is a fabulous resource to this community!

Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My family has used Simon's Apothocary for several different vitamin supplements and have been pleased with the results. We have used the liquad fish oil for our daughter with spd and son with ethesitis related arthritis it comes in berry flavor and regular. They also have a variety of probiotics that have worked well for both kids.